Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:51:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Patch: allow --markov=SECTION in addition to --markov[=[MIN_LEVEL-]LEVEL[:START[:END[:[MIN_LENGHT-]LENGTH]]]]

On 06/10/2012 11:39 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 06/10/2012 11:35 AM, magnum wrote:
>> But the first case, --markov=markov should use the existing section
>> no parameters. And it does have a statfile defined.
>
> My bad. The default is [Options:Markov] but new ones are like
> [Markov:name]. Seems to work fine (and I did not get the segfault when
> using a custom section).

This is arguable, but:

1. Would it not be more logical to rename [Options:Markov] to
[Markov:default]? In Jumbo-5 it's all under just [Options] so there is
no history of [Options:Markov] that we need to preserve.

and

2. I think it would be nice to have missing "required" arguments in a
custom section defaulting to what's in [Markov:default].

That way, I could have a section using another statfile just using this:

[Markov:rockyou]
Statsfile = $JOHN/rockyou.stats

...and all other parameters would be taken from [Markov:default]. Or
would that get messy?

magnum