Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 22:41:53 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Additions to JtR rules, arbitrary characters

>> something like $HEX$hhhhhhh..
>> as the password, allows detecting all possible bytes in a password,
>> including NULL
>
>What if someone really uses a $HEX$0123... password?

Then JtR at load time could determin if $HEX$1234 is the proper password, or if \x12\x34 is the proper password.  There are currently issues with JtR, and the .pot file.  That does not keep JtR from removing the found hashes if rerun (reread of the .pot file).  But if the passwords was qwerty\x0a the line you would see in the john.pot is simply qwerty which does not match.

>> I am not fully sure these are needed, as these type hashes likely are
>> not ITW real hashes.
>
>Probably we shouldn't add more complexity for such crap "passwords".
>If you want to search for this kind of crap, you usually know in advance
>that you'll get crap into the pot file.
>So you can at least put it into a separate pot file using --pot=...

I agree, that AFAIK, garbage like this is from self generated junk.    There are some taboo characters, which can be placed into the password stream, using external modes, or now with the rules.  These 'can' do bad things with the .pot file, but do not actually keep JtR from working.

I tossed out the $HEX$ for passwords in the .pot file to stimulate thought and discussion.  But it probably does not make since in the end.

Jim.