Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 05:27:52 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: file synchronization backend for MJohn

On 05/21/2012 12:12 AM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:15:23PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 05/20/2012 11:02 PM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>>> No commit should remove or change any line in a pot file, only added
>>> lines should occur.
>>>
>>> For the list of remaining hashes, the opposite is true:
>>> Every commit which changes such a file should just delete lines.
>>
>> Other files should never change once they are added to the repository.
>>
>> Let's say we decide to use certain word list files (facebook first
>> names, rockyou, ...).
>
> They could contain a mistake we want to fix.

Such mistakes should be rare.
We should definitely avoid some mistakes, like adding a version of the
rockyou password list which is sorted alphabetically, if there is also a
version containing those passwords sorted by frequency.
Since it is possible to add some word list files to the repository prior
to the pen test session (or contest), we can take extra care to avoid
such mistakes.
If such problems occur, because we first commit a suboptimal ad-hoc
version of a newly generated word list matching some pattern, we could
just add a new word list file, and stop using the old one.

>> If we want to keep track about what rules have already been tried
>> against a particular hash type, it really helps if the word list files
>> in question don't change their contents.
>
> Then we could track file+version instead of file. But this indeed
> makes things complex.

Then we should ignore this kind of complexity, at least until a lot of
other, more important problems are solved.

Frank