Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:09:27 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: bash auto-completion for john

On 05/11/2012 02:52 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 02:04 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> It would be great if --list=? would provide a list of implemented --list
>> options instead of a segfault.
>
> Will do. I have also implemented a catch-all (not committed yet): If you
> supply anything not recognised, it will list all subsections of that. So
> if you say --list=options it will currently just say "opencl" but in the
> future it might list more subsections of options.
>
> Also, I started making a --list=build-info. Currently, it says something
> like this for a normal installation:
>
> $ john --list=build-info
> Version: 1.7.9-jumbo-5
> Build: linux-x86-64-opencl
> $JOHN is ../run/
> Rec file version: REC3
> CHARSET_MAX: 126 (0x7e)
> CHARSET_LENGTH: 8
>
> ...and for a system-wide install, it's a little more:
>
> $ john --list=build-info
> Version: 1.7.9-jumbo-5
> Build: linux-x86-64-opencl
> System-wide exec: /usr/libexec/john
> System-wide home: /usr/share/john
> Private home: ~/.john
> $JOHN is /usr/share/john/
> Rec file version: REC3
> CHARSET_MAX: 126 (0x7e)
> CHARSET_LENGTH: 8

Can you move processing those list options that don't need access to
config files and/or path info several lines up in john.c, to a position
prior to path_init and/or cfg_init?

This would allow using --list=?, --list=build-info,
--list=hidden-options to be called in a system-wide build without the
config files being in their expected location.
Currently I get

$ john --list=build-info
fopen: $JOHN/john.ini: No such file or directory

without any clue what $JOHN is in this case.

Frank