Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 02:12:43 +0200
From: magnum <>
Subject: Re: New JtR functionality, re-build lost salts

On 04/30/2012 11:27 PM, jfoug wrote:
> I have added some code, that will allow john to find Password/Salts in
> certain situations, if all that is available is the MD5 hash.   Frequently,
> in large hash lists, there are some of these salted hashes in there, but
> with missing salts.   This modification to JtR will allow these to be found
> (albeit, pretty slowly).

This is a curious patch, I haven't had time to try it out but I will later.

A thing that hits me is this is a task a fast GPU format like raw-md5
could do very well, without the bandwidth problems it has otherwise...
we just supply a fairly small buffer of words (perhaps just one word)
and the GPU code generates all salts itself. But I guess it would need
some support from the format interface.

I suppose this patch as-is could be used with a slightly modified GPU
format with less work, but then we'd have to transfer salts from CPU
side. That is much lighter than transfering millions of keys though.