Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 23:08:52 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pragma unroll

On 05/02/2012 07:25 PM, Claudio André wrote:
>> If anyone cares, here is the correct one:
>
>> #ifdef cl_nv_pragma_unroll
>> #pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_nv_pragma_unroll : enable
>> #endif
>
> Magnum, are you happy with your results? I'm not with mine, so to see the
> log i put an error inside OpenCL code and got this on GTX 570:
>
> :19:27: warning: unknown '#pragma OPENCL EXTENSION' - ignored
>  #pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_nv_pragma_unroll  : enabled
>
> Makes sense since i haven't seen any performance gain (or loss).

I have the exact same experience. Like I wrote the #ifdef is per the
OpenCL spec, so the problem is now more of a weirdness with nvidia that
will hopefully be fixed with later drivers. The weird thing is that if
you google it, many people seem to use pragma unroll without problems.

I really hope next versions of everything (Intel, AMD, nvidia) will fix
a load of silly little issues like this. OpenCL is very immature. Maybe
we should make some noise at their respective support forums but I just
don't have the inspiration.

Anyway, Most of RAR is manually unrolled where needed.

magnum