Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:19:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: deepika dutta <deepikadutta_19@...oo.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: module caling john des routine?

Hi,I want to know which module calls DES routines. For eg. If I have following entry after unshadowing passwd/shadow files

deepika:dxqurQlkV8d.o:500:500:deepika:/home/deepika:/bin/bash

here the second field is password hash using UNIX's DES. DES format is detected by john and ciphertext and salt read from second entry. Plaintext is 0. Is the module fmt_self_test() in formats.c making call to DES routines to crack the ciphertext?

Cheers,
Deepika
Content of type "text/html" skipped