Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 23:54:06 +0800
From: myrice <qqlddg@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CUDA vs. OpenCL; approach to fast hashes (was:
 rawsha256.cu patch(using shared memory))

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Do you expect to have access to faster cards during the summer?  Do you
> intend to write any OpenCL code or only CUDA?  Efficient OpenCL code is
> more desirable than CUDA code because AMD cards are simply about 3 times
> faster than Nvidia at these tasks.  This is going to be partially
> corrected with GTX 680, but I expect a difference of about 1.5x in favor
> of AMD to remain (for optimized code).  And that's per-chip.  Now if we
> consider that there are fast dual-GPU AMD cards on the market (6990,
> 5970), but no dual-GPU counterpart to GTX 680 available yet, that gives
> AMD even further advantage this year (more GPUs per machine).  Perhaps a
> new dual-GPU card from Nvidia will appear soon, though.
>
> Yes, I will change my laptop this summer. Before June, I think I will also
use GTX580. However, I still expect there is other way to get a faster
card.
CUDA and OpenCL both okay for me though I usually programming under CUDA. I
have experience with OpenCL under NVidia card. So I don't know if they have
big difference. I think I will handle it. :)

Thanks!
Dongdong Li

Content of type "text/html" skipped