Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 19:09:02 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSoC: John the ripper GUI

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:36:06AM +0100, Alexis wrote:
> I have taken a look to Aleksey work, I would like to change two things:
>
>    - options screen: I have the impression that is to dense,
>    putting together many options of different types of executions make it
>    harder to read and put focus on certain info. I would like to have one
>    "main" option screen, were you can set john's behavior. Each execution mode
>    will have his own option tab.

Options screen is a common source of wish for changes. I have all
modes on one page because I did not have a vision how they could be
placed in another way but keeping it clear what mode is chosen. Also
layout was not on the top of my list. Recently I understood how modes
should looks for me: there should be radio buttons with modes names
and there should tabs with mode specific settings, when user choose
mode respective tab opens, but user could open other tabs not choosing
modes, so user could be not afraid to loose some settings looking for
other settings.

I tried to do it:

git clone https://github.com/AlekseyCherepanov/johnny.git -b tabbedmodesselection

What do you think?

By the way I would like to split options page into two: one for
general options and the second one for modes.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov