Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:17:31 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <>
Subject: Re: VNC Pcap's for cracking

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Rich Rumble <> wrote:
> Very nice! Sorry about the mislabel, I was doing so much that day
> I may have forgotten to reset it properly and or label it right. Great
> test of the module though :)
> I can't wait to see it in jumbo or the main branch!

I have just committed a new version of vncpcap2john which is able to
crack 3.7 and 3.8 protocols (both TightVNC and RealVNC supported). I
have tested it with your pcap files and it works fine.

There is something strange about 05-vnc-openwall-3.3.pcap and
06-vnc-openwall-3.3.pcap. For 05-vnc-openwall-3.3.pcap, VNC server is
at and client is at Then why is the
authentication challenge being sent form to
(see wireshark). Shouldn't it be the other way round? (rest of the
pcap files are *correct* though). Any ideas?