Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:27:05 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: VNC Pcap's for cracking

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> Can you re-check the password for 07-vnc-openwall-3.7.pcap file?
>> "openwall" doesn't work. Using JtR and *new* vncpcap2john I was able
>> to crack all your .pcap files except 07-vnc-openwall-3.7.pcap file and
>> those using 3.3 protocol (TODO).
>
> Never mind. The password is "Password" for  07-vnc-openwall-3.7.pcap
> file (cracked by JtR itself!).
Very nice! Sorry about the mislabel, I was doing so much that day
I may have forgotten to reset it properly and or label it right. Great
test of the module though :)
I can't wait to see it in jumbo or the main branch!
And that reminds me of something... I may put in another
request for someone to look at M$ office passwords (file open). There
are a number of techniques out there for the older versions, office 2007
and above are using AES by default and not as weak as the 40-bit
cipher's in the default of the other versions. (a key exhaustion attack is
there as well, and there are rainbow tables for those keys)
-rich