Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:54:25 +0100
From: Guth <guth@...posor.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: getting computed hash value

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 18:20, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> There's not always "the computed hash".  Sometimes only partial
> computation is done - just enough to find out that the password does not
> match any of the loaded hashes.

I knew about it but forgot to explain that I planned to "excude" theses
formats
i.e. with a get_computed_hash() {return 0;}

>  > Or does it requires to patch every format file
> > to add a get_computed_hash() function such as :
>
> Yes, and as I said this is not always possible at all (unless you
> actually add code to fully compute all hashes no matter what).

Maybe in a 2nd time, after 1st goal is fully operational.

> On the other hand, for many formats this is in fact possible and even
> trivial to do.

Definitely, I just wanted to confirm my 1st thinking and try to create a
"less intrusive as possible" patch on the actual code (i.e. add few
branching on crk_*).

Thanks for the answer/reminder.

Guth

Content of type "text/html" skipped