Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:20:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: getting computed hash value

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 05:48:35PM +0100, Guth wrote:
> i'm trying to make some (minor so far) hack on jtr and try to find a way to
> get/display the computed hash of any promat from the crk_* functions.

There's not always "the computed hash".  Sometimes only partial
computation is done - just enough to find out that the password does not
match any of the loaded hashes.

> Am I missing the key point ?

Yes, it sounds like you did not realize the above, whereas it's a reason
why the interface is defined in the way it is.

> Or does it requires to patch every format file
> to add a get_computed_hash() function such as :

Yes, and as I said this is not always possible at all (unless you
actually add code to fully compute all hashes no matter what).

On the other hand, for many formats this is in fact possible and even
trivial to do.

Alexander