Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 05:03:08 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bit slice implementation of DES based hashes

All -

Piyush has volunteered to try converting the various DES-based formats
in -jumbo to use the bitslice DES implementation.  Hence the Subject.

Piyush -

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 09:00:23PM +0530, piyush mittal wrote:
> While compiling Jtr jumbo version first i got a error because of not
> availability of OpenSSL package that i fixed by installing it but now
> i am getting errors as follows:
>

> x86-64.S:1315: Error: bad register name `%xmm9'
> make: *** [linux-x86-64] Error 2

This is an end-user issue, not a development issue; if you continue to
have end-user issues like this, it'd be more appropriate to bring them
up in their own threads on john-users rather than in this thread on
john-dev.  Obviously, you need to be able to build and use (at least
test) John the Ripper before you're possibly able to contribute to its
development.  That said, as it relates to the specific issue above:

My guess is that your OS install is a 32-bit one, whereas you're trying
to build with a 64-bit make target as above.  Obviously, this fails.
You need to either use a 32-bit make target (perhaps linux-x86-sse2) or
install a 64-bit OS.

Alexander