Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 20:42:12 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: 1.7.9-jumbo (was: 1.7.9 release date)

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:13:40AM -0600, jfoug wrote:
> When we start building J1, do we simply upconvert 1.7.8-j8, rebasing as
> 1.7.9-j1?   If that is the plan, would we then roll up patches 0001- to
> 0030- into a 1.7.9-j2 (new features, etc)?

This would work well for me, but I suspect that it's extra effort given
that magnum already has an updated tree.

I am really not sure.  I need to be able to review those patches somehow
before I sign the new jumbo patch and tarball, and a fully updated tree
is not the easiest thing to review.

BTW, for the icc-generated assembly files, I need PGP signatures from
magnum I guess.  I sort of reviewed the one that got into -jumbo-8, but
it was time-consuming and unreliable.  I mean, the wiki server might get
compromised, which would let an intruder modify a previously uploaded
file without me detecting that.  So I have to be double-checking those
patches for lack of backdoors.  ...Yes, this could be another reason to
switch to git.

Back to the original topic, I think it could also make sense to generate
a 1.7.8-jumbo-9 - to have it in case we need to debug some issue later
and to move most of my reviews to this stage, without anyone having to
update the existing individual patches for 1.7.9.  Then update that
entire patch for 1.7.9.

Alexander