Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:01:24 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Crash bug on win32-cygwin-x86-any builds

>From: Solar Designer [mailto:solar@...nwall.com]
>
>For debugging, you need to remove -fomit-frame-pointer from CFLAGS and
>-s from LDFLAGS.
>
>Also, I think -fomit-frame-pointer is now the default on gcc 4.6.x on
>32-bit x86, so you may actually need to pass -fno-omit-frame-pointer if
>you use very recent gcc.

All is nice, but when I have -g and -fno-omit-frame-pointer added to CFLAGS,
it does not crash.

I hate chasing bugs like this.

So, if CFLAGS contain this:

-g -O2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer    (works)

-g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer       (Crashes)

-g -fomit-frame-pointer           (works, even if ONLY john.o was built this
way)

In all cases, LDFLAGS has -s removed, and "strip john.exe" is removed from
the bottom of Makefile.  However, stripping or not stripping made no
difference in the crash or not crash.

The crash is in ldr_load_line, when looping through the fields.  It is
almost like the db_options pointer points to invalid memory.

Jim.