Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:57:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: -lz (was: No problem seen in Jumbo-6-RC5+0002)

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 07:25:43PM -0500, JimF wrote:
> From: "magnum" <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
>
> >As a sidenote, I can't cross-compile 64-32 targets unless removing the -lz
> >from LDFLAGS but when I do, everything builds and runs fine including
> >pkzip. It builds and runs fine with OR without -lz using normal
> >linux-x86-64. Is -lz needed on other systems?
>
> Could this be due to how the openssl was built on your system?  I am pretty
> sure I had problem on both cygwin, and solaris, without the lz.

Previously, Robert reported needing -lz for making a static build of
John with his install of OpenSSL.

Now -lz appears to be needed for pkzip_fmt_plug.c anyway - at least when
I tried removing -lz, my build on Mac OS X failed:

Undefined symbols:
  "_inflateEnd", referenced from:
      _cmp_exact_loadfile in pkzip_fmt_plug.o
      _cmp_exact_loadfile in pkzip_fmt_plug.o