Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:57:53 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Character casing question for U+0131

On 2011-08-01 23:15, magnum wrote:
> Empirical data is what gets us forward: Here are *real* hashes from a
> Windows XP running with OEM codepage 437.

For users having problems reading my mail, here are the test file and
dictionaries as files (but you should really ditch your mail program,
and complain about the Openwall mailing list archive trashing the output).

nt.dic is in encoded in UTF-8. Use it with --utf8 (for 1.7.8-jumbo-4) or
with --enc=utf8 (for 1.7.8-jumbo4 + wiki patches)

lm.dic is in encoded in cp437 (or cp850, these characters does not
differ between them) and are already uppercase so this will work on any
old version of John.

lm.cp850.dic is the same as nt.dic but encoded in cp850. When we get
support for -enc=cp850, john will properly uppercase this file's
candidates and crack the pwdump file.

magnum

View attachment "nt.dic" of type "text/plain" (15 bytes)

View attachment "lm.dic" of type "text/plain" (10 bytes)

View attachment "real.sam" of type "text/plain" (419 bytes)

View attachment "lm.cp850.dic" of type "text/plain" (10 bytes)