Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 00:49:03 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Full UTF-8 support (as opposed to UCS-2)

I just uploaded a "0012" patch. This patch re-enables full support for
UTF-16 (as opposed to UCS-2). This “surrogate pair” support [meaning two
UTF-16 words are used to compose one character above U+FFFF] was removed
during development of the initial “UTF-8 patch” because of NT
performance. Since then, NT and mscash (dcc1) got their own, inline,
utf8-straight-into-keybuffer functions (which still are UCS-2 after this
patch, for performance reasons) so we could now add the full support
again for all other formats.

The added (17x larger) Unicode space may not contain that much of
interest but there are some things that may be expected in passwords,
for example emoji symbols (very commonly in Japan and now spreading) and
some CJK characters "important for personal and place names".

I enclose a test file and dict for use with raw-md5-unicode or
md5_gen(29), and of course --enc=utf8. This file contains the character
U+1033C, "GOTHIC LETTER MANNA" in combinations up to (and over) the max
length of the format. I picked that random character because it's
printed correctly on my Ubuntu laptop. There are 20 hashes but only 16
are expected to be cracked because the other 4 is beyond max length.
This test file can *not* be cracked without applying the 0012 patch.

magnum

View attachment "manna.rawmd5u" of type "text/plain" (2045 bytes)

View attachment "high_unicode.dict" of type "text/plain" (794 bytes)