Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:53:02 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny GUI interactive status from John

> > I tried 'kill -s 1 <pid_of_john_instance>' and 'kill -s SIGHUP <pid>' on
> > my Debian in chroot under Android with John 1.7.7 from Debian and both
> > commands did not force John to show status.

> the kill command doesn't force a running john session to report
> it's current status.
> It just forces the process to update john.pot as well as the
> corresponding .rec and .log files - which normally would
> be updated every 10 minutes (unless specified otherwise
> using the Save = option in john.conf).

Thanks for the explanation. It clarified me. So now i tried again and
all works well. It was just my misunderstanding.

Also i tried to do so on Windows XP. With prebuilt John 1.7.0.1 i did
not get a status but i got "fgets: permission denied" when i ran second
John to view status (when i stop first John and view status all works
good).

With prebuilt John 1.7.7 built against cygwin by Robert B. Harris i got
status but also i got a problem that if i ran it from cmd then cygwin's
kill did not find John's process else if i ran John from cygwin's prompt
then it said that there are two cygwin dlls and did not start John. I
guess that if i fix dll problem and run John in cygwin environment then
John could receive SIGHUP as on real unix. I think that cygwin provides
signals support without any changes in the code. However it seems not ok
to build all Johns for Windows against cygwin and to use SIGHUP
everywhere.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov