Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 03:07:29 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Johnny GUI interactive status from John

Still trivial.  Within john, create a new command arg, -winmsg or something.
This could be a non-documented (i.e. does not show on the 'help' screen),
and should only get built into john in a windows build.

When john processes that command (only valid for windows), john simply
creates a hidden window, spawns a thread that is a 'winproc' thread. That
thread will easily be able to pump messages.   This can be used just like
the code which monitors tty keystrokes.  I believe that code simply sets a
global.  Then at certain points, john checks that global, and when set,
outputs a line of text.

So, johnny starts john, with a new command arg, john then sets up a windows
message pump, and the 2 processes can chat with each other all they want.
Trivial winblows 101 programming.

A 'registered' message is simply a way that 2 processes can get a specific
unique message number, without having to be built knowing information about
the other. It does not have to be coded that way at all.  Both processes, if
built 'together', can simply choose to use the same number (a message is
nothing more than a number).

Jim.