Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:31:55 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's Status Report - #5 of 15

Shinnok,

> When do you think you'll be finishing up with school and be able to
> start working on the GUI? There's is no pressure attached to this
> question, I am only asking just to be able to better gauge some of the
> ideas I have in mind and to free up some time on my side.

I hope to finish the session in my university at Saturday. So Saturday's
evening will be the starting point for my work on the GUI.

> Some proposals I have:
>
> 1. Since you've started picking up on Qt, after a brief discussion
> with Solar, we decided it would be best if you start working on the
> scratch poc I already did for JtR(https://github.com/shinnok/johnny),
> since that demo is already a good start. Read 2.

I think i will rewrite my simple GUI for John in Qt to learn Qt. Then it
will be fine to use your poc as a base. I have only one question about
it: is it under appropriate license? Last time i looked it it was under
GPL.

> 2. Another thing would be that I would like to work along with you on
> the same project, that is, I would like to contribute code in parallel
> with you, not just advice and guidelines. This way we are two forces
> contributing on the some project(our project, :D), and we can achieve
> more then if only one of us were to do coding, although my
> contribution would be limited because of my current assignment to Nmap
> part of GSoC, it is still a great thing if you ask me.

I think it will be great to try to cooperate. I do not know how to do it but i
would like to learn about it.

> 3. We will most likely contribute on the some repo, somewhere remote,
> and my proposal is Github. Are you ok with using Git? We can use the
> current github url for Johnny, unless Solar finds time and decides to
> host us a git repo somehwere on *.openwall.com. Besides Github, there
> is gitourious(http://gitorious.org/), if you have something against
> Github. :-)

Github is ok for me. I used it particaping in JetDroid.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov