Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:45:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.7-jumbo-6

Dhiru, magnum, all -

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:08:22AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> rar_fmt.c: In function ???set_salt???:
> rar_fmt.c:94:8: warning: ???saveptr??? may be used uninitialized in this
> function

This is now gone along with the uses of strtok_r().

> drar.c: In function ???process_file???:
> drar.c:127:9: warning: ignoring return value of ???fread???, declared with
> attribute warn_unused_result

I've patched these by swapping the size and nmemb arguments to fread()
and adding assert(count == 1); after each fread().  This is really
dirty (assert() is meant for detecting program bugs, not merely an
unreadable file), but drar.c already had some asserts like this.

> Similar to ones from JtR itself that you said is
> fixed in CVS iirc so hopefully also easy fix?

Yes, except that my fixes for the official JtR are more elaborate.  For
drar.c in jumbo, I just don't care much.  It doesn't make much sense to
fix one issue cleanly when the source file is far from clean overall.

Dhiru - can you please test that drar in -RC4 still works?  (I did not.)

BTW, what does "d" in drar stand for?

> More important (but not urgent) is this: I just noticed the user
> settings for ETA threshold and date string format are not being read
> from john.conf when you do a "./john --status". It will instead use the
> default date format of %c and the default ETA threshold of 0.05%. I have
> confirmed my cfg_get_param() calls are made but they doesn't seem to
> work. It's no big deal for these two settings (I believe the progress
> percentage is not even stored with decimals) but I need to find out why,
> because this may apply to other things I plan to make configurable. Any
> ideas?

This is not something I'd spend my time on now, sorry.

> Oh, and I too get the double free's when using OMP, using libssl 0.9.8o.

Thank you for confirming this!

Alexander