Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 00:47:19 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: 1.7.7-jumbo-6

----- Original Message -----
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: [john-dev] 1.7.7-jumbo-6

> did not work out of the box:
>
> Got warnings about strtok_r  on Mingw.  I doubt the thread safe stuff is
> in
> Link errors.
>
> ssh_fmt.o:ssh_fmt.c:(.text+0x4): undefined reference to
> `SSL_load_error_strings'

I made a couple of chagnes to the john.exe build rules (cygwin and mingw),
and fixed my environment to have 'proper' location for ssl  (in
/usr/local/ssl).  These are now building properly (the strtok_r is still a
problem for mingw, bit I will get to that).  However, with those build rules
changed, I am wondering if this will cause others to have build issues?  I
am not super concerned about mingw, I likely am the only one building on
that ruleset.  But I think cygwin is the 'normal' way people get a posix
build under win32.

Here is the changes from Makefile.  The commented out line is the 'original'
LD line.  For the cygwin build (the first one), all I did was add
$(LDFLAGS), and removed -lcrypto (since it is in ldflags).  For the mingw, I
added LDFLAGS and stripped out the leay32 (older 32 bit openssl dll link)  I
will get a patch put together, but I still have a little work to get
strtok_r working on mingw/VC.

# $(LD) $(JOHN_OBJS) -lkernel32 -lcrypto -o ../run/john.exe

../run/john.exe: $(JOHN_OBJS)
 $(LD) $(JOHN_OBJS) $(LDFLAGS) -lkernel32 -o ../run/john.exe
 strip ../run/john.exe

# $(LD) $(JOHN_OBJS) -lkernel32 -leay32 -o ../run/john-mingw.exe

../run/john-mingw.exe: $(JOHN_OBJS)
 $(LD) $(JOHN_OBJS) $(LDFLAGS) -lkernel32 -o ../run/john-mingw.exe
 strip ../run/john-mingw.exe
 cp ../run/john-mingw.exe ../run/john.exe

Jim.