Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 13:36:20 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

On 2011-06-03 10:05, magnum wrote:
> On 2011-06-03 05:04, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> Changed NT's asm code (x86_sse.S) to properly work with UTF-8. (Alain
>>> Espinosa ????)
>>
>> What's the performance impact for non-UTF-8? (I'd expect 1% or so.)
>
> I did not manage to see any. I was prepared to keep the old code and use
> it when not running utf8 but it wasn't needed. Some other mods make a
> non-utf8 NT boost from 24000K (jumbo 1) to >27000K on my machine (while
> --utf8 speed is near 21000K).

I tried again now and there is of course a little impact: About 1.5%
(average speed for five tests of each). We could use both versions in
the future if we like to but I'm not sure it's worth it - it's less than
the normal fluctuation between test runs. I think a 4 bytes binary size
will gain much more... but then again, why not do both!

magnum