Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 22:02:43 +0200
From: Ɓukasz Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Lukas's Status Report - #2 of 15

Hi all!
Second gsoc status report.

Here are my "achievements" during last week:
-Sent gsoc forms to Google.
-uploaded previous sha256cuda-0 patch to wiki.
-finished work on 0 revision of cryptsha256cuda patch.
-developed simple testing script for my patches
-uploaded old patches benchmarks results collected from mailing list
and contributors.

And priorities for next one:
-try profile patches on nVidia nSight MS Visual Studio patch
-develop md5-based crypt cuda patch

Comment:
I am truly disappointed by perfomance of cryptsha256cuda patch. It is
8-10 slower than it should be. And only few times faster than cpu
version.
I tried some tricks but without a significant results. There must be a
bottleneck in local memory load/store operations and I want try
nVision profiler to seek them and destroy. Now I am moving for
md5-based crypt rather than planned sha512-based crypt patch because
it is easier and I don't want get into infinite optimization loop
during premature sha512 coding.

Lukas