Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:47:42 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Ideas for jumbo-6

Actually, right now, there are no converted formats at all.  Jumbo-5 does
not include ANY of the ideas we have kicked around.  All changes to the file
names, any changes to Makefile or john.c is not in the current jumbo.   I
figure we can start out with a patch that does add the changes needed for
these 2 formats, as a starting reference point.

>converted to plugin formats, showing the way. The rest is
>left as-is in Makefile & john.c (and with their current file names). The
>old Jumbo formats can be migrated one by one or a bunch at a time
>whenever revised for other reasons.
>
>2) ALL Jumbo (or non-core) formats (md5-gen counts as core) converted to
>plugin formats.
>
>I vote for option 2. Regardless of which option we choose, all future
>formats are supposed to be written as plugins and named *_plugfmt.c

I think when we 'go' with this, that option 2 is the best (as we talked
about off list). Then we can build a jumbo that does the whole thing at one
time, and only release a jumbo-X and not a jumbo-Xm1-to-X diff.  That diff
would be very large, since file renaming using diff/patch sux.  But since
all of these files would be 'new' for a 1.7.7 to jumbo-X, then there are no
existing files, thus the patch is same size (just using different file
names).

But I think we can get a patch out using method one, showing the logistics
of the whole process, and allowing people to see what is up, and suggest
modifications to the method, to help improve it in ways we did not see.
However, before moving down this road, let's get jumbo-5 finalized, and
published.  We are 99% there.  Hopefully we can get some Apple/Mac build
testing information soon.  That is really the environment that is missing
from build and testing.

Jim.