Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:29:29 +0300
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: [openwall-announce] fresh Owl ISOs; Linux; Packetfactory mirror

This is to announce three items at once (yes, I will be trying to make
postings to this list less frequent):

1. Fresh ISO images of Owl-current for x86 and x86-64 (generated on
October 25) are available on our FTP mirrors.  There are also direct
download links on the Owl homepage:

These ISOs use Linux as the kernel, and, compared to last
month's ISO snapshots, they contain updated versions of many packages
(vsftpd, iptables, passwdqc, cpio, e2fsprogs, strace, VIM, and xinetd),
as well as minor changes to some other packages.  As usual, the major
changes are documented:

Like last month, these updates are due to work by Dmitry V. Levin,
Michail Litvak, and me.

2. Speaking of the kernel, Linux fixes a number of information
leak vulnerabilities.  One of these was already fixed in
(as used in last month's Owl-current ISOs), and the remaining ones may
or may not affect specific systems depending on both kernel and
userspace configuration.  The patch additionally fixes a
typo in one of the information leak fixes (CVE-2009-3612).  The updated
kernel patch is available at the usual location:

3. We've setup an unofficial mirror of  We did
this because the main Packetfactory site appeared to have gone down
"permanently" (staying down for about a year), whereas much of its
content was still valuable.  The Packetfactory was hosting a number of
networking and network security projects (with a focus on raw IP
networking) and related publications.  All of this content is now
available on the mirror, although some of the projects (the actively
maintained ones) have since moved elsewhere.  The mirror is here: