Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 01:11:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pax-utils

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 07:02:52PM +0100, Daniel Cegie?ka wrote:
> pax-utils is primarily for PaX, so without this patch is losing a lot
> of functionality, like pspax tool:

The Owl userland mostly works with non-Owl kernels as well, including
with PaX-patched kernels.  While we've opted to provide RHEL/OpenVZ
kernels in Owl and no PaX patch readily exists for those, I think we
should keep our current and prospective users informed that they're free
to use other 2.6.x/3.x kernels if they like (at their risk, of course).
We'll even consider problem reports and be willing to patch our userland
to support non-Owl kernels better.

So I see no problem with pax-utils having functionality that wouldn't be
usable on Owl with stock kernel, as long as it also has functionality
that is in fact usable on Owl with stock kernel.

Alexander