Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 10:17:05 +0100
From: Carlton Gibson <carlton.gibson@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Django security releases: CVE-2021-23336: Web cache poisoning via
 ``django.utils.http.limited_parse_qsl()``

Reference: https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2021/feb/19/security-releases/

In accordance with `our security release policy
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/security/>`_, the Django team
is issuing
`Django 3.1.7 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.1.7/>`_,
`Django 3.0.13 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.0.13/>`_, and
`Django 2.2.19 <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/2.1.19/>`_.
These release addresses the security issue detailed below. We encourage all users of Django to upgrade as soon as possible.

CVE-2021-23336: Web cache poisoning via ``django.utils.http.limited_parse_qsl()``

Django contains a copy of ``urllib.parse.parse_qsl()`` which was added to
backport some security fixes. A further security fix has been issued recently
such that ``parse_qsl()`` no longer allows using ``;`` as a query parameter
separator by default. Django now includes this fix. See `bpo-42967
<https://bugs.python.org/issue42967>`_ for further details.

This issue has moderate severity, according to the Django security policy.

Affected supported versions
===========================

* Django 3.2 (currently at beta status)
* Django 3.1
* Django 3.0
* Django 2.2

Resolution
==========

Patches to resolve the issue have been applied to the 3.2, 3.1, 3.0, and 2.2 release
branches. The patches may be obtained from the following changesets:

* On the `3.2 release branch <https://github.com/django/django/commit/be8237c7cce24b06aabde0b97afce98ddabbe3b6>`__
* On the `3.1 release branch <https://github.com/django/django/commit/8f6d431b08cbb418d9144b976e7b972546607851>`__
* On the `3.0 release branch <https://github.com/django/django/commit/326a926beef869d3341bc9ef737887f0449b6b71>`__
* On the `2.2 release branch <https://github.com/django/django/commit/fd6b6afd5959b638c62dbf4839ccff97e7f7dfda>`__

The following releases have been issued:

* Django 3.1.7 (`download Django 3.1.7 <https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/3.1/Django-3.1.7.tar.gz>`_ | `3.1.7 checksums <https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-3.1.7.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 3.0.13 (`download Django 3.0.13 <https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/3.0/Django-3.0.13.tar.gz>`_ | `3.0.13 checksums <https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-3.0.13.checksum.txt>`_)
* Django 2.2.19 (`download Django 2.2.19 <https://www.djangoproject.com/m/releases/2.2/Django-2.2.19.tar.gz>`_ | `2.2.19 checksums <https://www.djangoproject.com/m/pgp/Django-2.2.19.checksum.txt>`_)

The PGP key ID used for these releases is Carlton Gibson: `E17DF5C82B4F9D00
<https://github.com/carltongibson.gpg>`_.

Django 3.2 beta 1 will be released in a separate blog post later today.

General notes regarding security reporting