Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:10:23 +0100
From: Martin Schulze <joey@...odrom.org>
To: xvendor@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Warning: man-pages became non-free

Hi,

I've been approached by Richard Stallman discussing the future
maintenance of (GNU/)Linux manpages, who asked me to forward a
question to this list:

"Who would like to distribute the free man pages without the non-free
ones?  If you are interested in this, would you let me know?"
(rms@....org)

Rest of my old mail quoted for background information:

Martin Schulze wrote:
> this is just a warning for those of you who shipt Free Software that
> is not contaminated by non-free components.  The man-pages project
> became inherently non-free as of version 1.65 by the inclusion of
> POSIX manpages.  It's license (not included in the package, though)
> permits redistribution but no modifications, which is not compatible
> with any idea of Free Software.
>
> Please see <http://linuxpr.com/releases/6599.html> for an official
> announcement of The Open Group and IEEE.
>
> For Debian I'm stripping the non-free POSIX components off of man-pages
> and repackage it.  Thank got the manpages are collected in three
> directories distinct from the rest of man-pages, so stripping is not
> too hard.
>
> There's also a little thread on the debian-legal list, where I hoped
> that people would disagree with me.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal-0402/msg00190.html

Regards,

	Joey

--
Life is too short to run proprietary software.  -- Bdale Garbee