Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 00:38:55 -0600
From: will cunningham <willpanther@...il.com>
To: sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: getting X to work with evdev

Saboteurs,

I've got my next Optiplex in and it's up and pumping with X!

I had a few problems with X below, but first it is compiling everything
fine including Firefox, so I think I've had hardware problems causing many
of my past  issues.  Apologies for several likely unneeded questions before
figuring this out, and ignore compiling problems from my threads for others
searching the list.

I tried to put together the assorted answers from X questions from me and
Henrique to get this going using evdev:

Along with the Xorg package I installed xf86-video-intel, and
xf86-input-evdev.  I added LOAD "intel" to the end of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-modules.conf, and I used the mdev.conf from
https://github.com/slashbeast/mdev-like-a-boss, copied to /etc/mdev.conf

I tried starting X between each of these additions with startx not as root
and looking at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log I'm seeing that it is saying it
failed to load module "intel"   The message said "Failed to load
/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so: Error relocating
/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so I810InitMC: symbol not found"

I'm not sure that was the problem but I loaded xf86-video-vesa and now Xorg
is working with the vesa generic driver, which is fine with me.

However, if anyone has recomendations on kicking it up from vesa, or if
improving the work flow above, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Will

Content of type "text/html" skipped