Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:49:03 +0100
From: John Spencer <>
Subject: Re: Sabotage Linux "Just Works"

Garry Roseman wrote:
> Of course I read about Sabotage but installed CRUX and Alpine at that
> point in my adventure.  Yesterday I decided to take time to play with
> either FreeBSD or a minimalist Linux system.  Luckily I decided to learn
> more about Sabotage.  What a joy!  Clean scripts and deceptively simple
> engineering!

Nice! great that you like it and that everything worked out smoothly for

> Well there was a small glitch.  The root filesystem was mounted
> read-only.  Is that an artifact of the init system being different from
> what I'm used to?  Anyway, I added "rw" to root filesystem options in
 > /etc/fstab and "rw" to the kernel command line in my grub.cfg and
 > rebooted and all was well.

the default boot manager for sabotage is extlinux/syslinux, and the
default config (/boot/extlinux.conf) ships with the rw option to the kernel.
having the rw option in fstab by default could make sense though.
however that would probably require changes to "squashtool" (readonly fs

> In between other things in the next week or so I'll try to replicate my
> Funtoo desktop, fluxbox, rox-filer, mpv, and other things requiring gtk2
> (and python).  I would be interested in hearing if anyone has been able
> to build kde applications on Sabotage(?). On Funtoo I build okular,
> kate, kile, gwenview and calligra without avahi, consolekit, dbus,
> policykit, or pulseaudio. It would be nice to do that on Sabotage.

the last time i tried to build a KDE app (kdevelop), there were so many
dependencies on KDE services and libraries that i gave up after a day.
however that was pre-sabotage so things may work better these days...
but it's probably still a lot of work to add all required packages.
i personally wouldn't mind having kdevelop available, even though it
requires tons of RAM and harddisk space, as long as it doesn't have hard
dbus/systemd deps...