Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:45:09 +0100
From: John Spencer <>
Subject: Re: wpa_supplicant + dhclient on boot

Henrique Lengler wrote:
> Hi,
> I want my wireless connection to automatically load on boot.
> To mannualy set this up I first run
> # sv start wpa_supplicant
> # dhclient wlan0

wpa_supplicant needs a bit time to do its magic, so dhclient can only
succeed after the connection is established.

it's possible to sync wpa_supplicant via wpa_cli
please take a look at this commit

this is probably not yet sufficient due to some issues (for example exec
transfers ownerships, so the last line cant be executed) but we're
working on a solution.
in case you come up with a better approach we're all ears.
(we also need a way so the user can choose between dhcp and non-dhcp

> I'm confused about how I set this, what the difference between /etc/service
> and /etc/rc.local files

the rc.local stuff is mostly for a static configuration. the dhcp stuff
there will only work with a connection thats already up after the kernel
finished loading (i.e. ethernet).