Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:56:51 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d and virtual domains

Hi Ed,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:47:48PM +0800, CC wrote:
> As far as I can determine, popa3d (patched with the vname patch) will
> support local virtual domains (i.e.  domain:<path>).

Yes.  In fact, you don't even need a patch for IP-based virtual domains.
The patch is for name-based ones.

> Is there a patch out there that can support external paths?
> (i.e. domain:<server>:<port>)?   So instead of popa3d retrieving
> mail from a local virtual server,  it goes for another pop server
> (by relaying commands coming from and contents going to the
> client).

No.  I suggest that you search for "POP3 proxy" on Freshmeat and Google.
Since many POP3 proxies are meant for end-users, and this is not what
you need, you may want to add extra keywords, such as "server-side".

If you put popa3d behind a proxy like that, you may need to increase
popa3d's MAX_SESSIONS_PER_SOURCE setting, because all of your
connections will be coming from a single IP address (that of the proxy).
Hopefully, the proxy implements its own anti-DoS measures (OK, most
don't...)

If you like, we may help you set this up - including consideration of
your specific needs, choice of existing POP3 proxy software or/and
custom programming (maybe a rework of popa3d), testing, deployment, and
maybe maintenance - as a paid service.  Please let me know off-list if
you're interested.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15