Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:31:33 +1000
From: "Daniel" <email@...vatecage.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: connecting via Thunderbird

>On 31/08/2005 at 6:54 pm Jim Mirick wrote:
> 1. nmap reports that port 110 is not open

Umm, the first thing you should have tried was to telnet
in to port 110 from the box running the troubled tb client.

Then if you connected you could workout whether it was an account
issue on the server (e.g wrong password, username or something).

If you couldn't connect, it was likely to be a network, firewall or service
issue (aka daemon in the nix world).

>> And then, what does "I can connect via command line" mean ? what do you
>> type ? Be specific, please !

Telnet is you friend. From a command prompt on your windows pc client
(or any pc o/s with a telnet client) type (without the % characters and case sensitive):
--------------------------------
c:\> telnet %server-ip-or-name% 110
user %username%
pass %password%
list
quit

You don't need NMAP or Fedora to sort this out. Its not a MS problem either ;-)

man popa3d
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html

....and a little plug for BSD.

regards,