Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:11:45 +0800
From: Uwe Dippel <udippel@...ten.edu.my>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: connecting via Thunderbird

Jim Mirick wrote:

> A little more diagnosis:  /var/log/messages has some things from popa3d, as
> when I log on as root and then execute popa3d from the command line to
> look at my mailbox (I say USER JRM etc.).

Amazing. Now everything is through and said ... .

Do we agree on some basics here ? Does RHEL eventually start popa3d by
default ? can you do some 'ps ax | grep pop' before and after you start it ?

And then, what does "I can connect via command line" mean ? what do you
type ? Be specific, please !

Did you try to telnet from the client (the one you run Thunderbird on)
to the server ?

What distro does the client (the one running Thunderbird) use ? Also
RedHat ?
It might help you could install nmap on that machine and then issue some
'nmap -v 123.123.123.123' (replace 123.123.123.123 with the IP of the
server).

And add the 'some things from popa3d' for us to see, please !

> However, if I log on to Linux as JRM and try to execute popa3d it says
> "command not found", even if I cd to /usr/sbin where the executable is.

Try to run it as root, instead !

By now I could as well suggest to de-install and purge all configuration
(no idea how to do on RedHat, sorry), and install from scratch.

> So I suspect there is a permissions problem.  I have changed the permissions
> for popa3d in /usr/sbin to "everybody can execute" it still won't execute it
> for anybody except root.

That sits on another sheet of paper. root is the correct user to execute
popa3d for the time and purpose being.

> Is there a config file for popa3d somewhere?  I can't find one.  How does it
> know what to do?

I don't know about RedHat, but it doesn't need one, basically. It
'knows' what to do: read from the mail-spool on request on port 110.

HTH,

Uwe