Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:25:10 -0700
From: "Sean Kelly" <sean@...eview.com>
To: <popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: popa3d 1.0

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me produce a patch using diff (or
what?) - I made a couple quick and simple code changes that will add the
IP address of the connected user in parenthesis on the log line after
authentication. It's only a couple lines of code and produces the
following output in the logs:

May 31 22:28:47 localhost popa3d[21547]: Authentication passed for
dkelly\ (69.107.106.62)
May 31 22:31:47 localhost popa3d[21562]: Authentication passed for
skelly\ (69.107.106.62)

Anyway, I've never made nor used any kind of source code patch before
and have no idea how to do it, but would like to switch to the 1.0 code
and I think this would be a nice little patch release that is simple and
succinct. I made the changes to the 0.6.4.1 code-base.

Of course there are plenty of uses for recording the IP address in this
manner, but personally I want to use it as IP-based authentication for
pop-before-send. The other approaches seemed too involved or tricky to
me and I wanted a much simpler mechanism. With this, all I will do is
use a perl script to monitor the incoming log statements from popa3d and
add IP's to the SMTP access file, and remove them after some expiration
period.

Well I'd appreciate it if someone wouldn't mind lending a hand. I'll be
happy to host the patch distribution afterward.

Thanks,
- Sean Kelly (sean@...nkelly.com)