Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:12:29 -0800
From: Code Monkeyboy <popa3d@...pc.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d Catatonic?

Oh my god - THIS LIST IS ALIVE!

> I've been using popa3d happily since 0.5.9 on a RH Linux 9 machine. I've
> been trying to get it to work on an identical RH9 machine that doesn't
> seem to be working.

UGH, RedHat.

Make sure you have PAM support enabled, and all of that.

Make sure the "dummy user" popa3d needs is defined with an empty "home
directory", etc.  It's usually popa3d.

Make sure you have PAM entries allowing popa3d to service authentication
requests (or whatever Redhattian nastiness is required).

> It compiles fine and executes well enough, and I see
> port 110 open up when it becomes activated.

Try this:

telnet hostname pop3
USER user
PASS pass
(where user and pass are valid login identities)

For security's sake, it might be better to do it on localhost.

> I'm assuming that there's something glaringly obvious wrong on the
> server, but I'm not real sure where to look at this point. There don't
> appear to be any error messages coming from the popa3d daemon which is
> under the control of xinetd. The port is open, the IP is reachable, I
> can connect to port 110 with telnet - just nothing good comes back! :-(

Try the telnet test.  I expect you'll see a fault straight away.  Chances are
the popa3d is crashing because of runtime problems.

I imagine you have authentication issues.... with RedHat, there are always
"issues" like these.

=R=