Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:51:24 +0200
From: Tim van Erven <tve@...mig.net>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Virtual Domains

On Sat, 18/10/2003 22:15 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

>>> I don't really like this suggestion.  If you do use popa3d's sample
>>> virtual domain support code unmodified, then please also place the
>>> domain information where the code expects it, -- in place of the
>>> "127.0.0.1".  Yes, it means that you may need to have your MTA or LDA
>>> translate the recipient's domain name into the corresponding virtual
>>> mail server's IP address.  (OK, perhaps the sample virtual.c should be
>>> enhanced to also support name-based virtual domains.)
>>
>> What do you mean by a `virtual mail server'?
>
> In this context, a POP3 (and maybe also SMTP) server that the users of
> a domain may treat as if it were a dedicated mail server for just their
> domain.  The sample virtual.c implements the POP3 side of it.

So you're thinking of a scenario where multiple users are sharing a
server, each being allowed to admin their own domain?

And in that case it would not be uncommon to use separate IPs for the
virtual mailservers for the domains, so the IP for the virtual
mailservers could be used in place of the "127.0.0.1" to differentiate
between domains?

Cheers,

--
Tim van Erven <tve@...mig.net>          Fingerprint: F6C9 61EE 242C C012
OpenPGP Key ID: 712CB811                   36D5 BBF8 6310 D557 712C B811