Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:07:04 +0200 (MEST)
From: "Philipp Jacob" <ph.jacob@....de>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Virtual Domains

> >> /etc/valiases is a file I introduced in that HOWTO that is *only* used
> >> by exim.  Popa3d never looks at it.  You can use the valiases file to
> >> redirect mail to a different address.
> >>
> >> If this doesn't help to clear things up, please provide an example of
> >> what you're trying to accomplish.
>
> > The redirection via the valiases file is not the solution
> > for my needs. I want to host a couple of mail addresses
> > and domains on the machine, so that some 'local_parts'
> > appear more than one time. (e.g. info@... or mail@...)
> >
> > So I want the mail to mail@xyz to be placed in an mbox
> > file called mail-xyz and mail to mail@abc acordingly.
> > And this should be controlled by a file similar to the
> > /etc/valiases.
>
> I see. You could put the following in the valiases file:
>
> mail@xyz: mail-xyz@xyz
> mail@abc: mail-abc@abc
>
> But that wouldn't be very pretty. IIRC you can use ${domain} to get the
> domain part of the address, so you could use a line like:
>
> file = VIRTUAL_HOME_PATH/127.0.0.1/mail/${local_part}-${domain}
>
> instead of the line
>
> file = VIRTUAL_HOME_PATH/127.0.0.1/mail/${local_part}
>
> in the HOWTO.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Tim van Erven <tve@...mig.net>          Fingerprint: F6C9 61EE 242C C012
> OpenPGP Key ID: 712CB811                   36D5 BBF8 6310 D557 712C B811

Yes, this could be a solution for me to get individual mboxes
for every email address hosted on the server. But
'add-popa3d-user' doesn't allow usernames containing dots
('.'). I could fix this in the perl script, but I think this restriction
has its purpose, probably for security reasons.

So I don't have a clue how to separate the mboxes from
each other.

Philipp