Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:16:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Built In SSL Support

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 02:25:12PM +1000, Daniel wrote:
> >On 17/08/2003 at 4:01 am Solar Designer wrote:
> >Yes, that's been on TODO for a long time now.  I don't agree with your
> >assertion that this is crucial, but I do see several reasons why SSL
> >support in popa3d would be preferred over stunnel:
>
> Cool.
>
> The cruciality (if that's a real word) I was referring to is my ability
> to present *secure* solutions to clients. Secure in my mind is by
> design, by default, not by using a 'glue' app like stunnel ( as useful as it is).

It's part of the design of Unix that multiple small programs are used
to solve more complex tasks.

I find it unfortunate that things such as STARTTLS/STLS prevent
complete separation of the encryption layer from SMTP, POP3 and IMAP
protocol implementations in all cases.

> > pop3s would be supported on OpenBSD out of the box (stunnel will
> > hardly ever get into their base tree).
>
> stunnel will *never* get into the base tree of OpenBSD ;-)

Perhaps.  But if licensing was the only reason, that could be fixed.

Oh, and in my opinion there're cases when GNU GPL is preferable over
a BSD license, although I usually choose the latter.  But that's off
the topic of this mailing list.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598