Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:34:15 -0700
From: Michael Coulter <mjc@...z.ca>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: virtuals don't seem very virtual ?

Hello,

I just started looking into running popa3d for a small groups of virtual domains.

I poked around with the current virtual support and each virtual seems to require a
corresponding real user account. I though about this for a while, and I'm guessing
this behaviour is for the sake of security. I.E. being able to drop privileges to a
user, and having the mailboxes owned by separate users.

Is it possible to set this up to simply setuid and/or gid to a user with mail privileges
and handle virtual domain type user names in the following manner:

usernames/crypts are in files like /vhome/auth/example.com/user
mboxes would have paths like /vhome/mail/example.com/user

If this does not yet exist, is there interest in patches that would accomplish something
to that effect ?