Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:56:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d syslogs / sendmail POP-before-SMTP

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 05:44:21PM +0200, Torgny Bjers wrote:
> I gave up on whoson. After a clean compile and install of whoson (I got
> Slackware 9.0), I fired up the whosond daemon, but whenever I connected to
> it, either by checking my POP mail (after having correctly patched both
> Sendmail and popa3d), or by calling whoson directly, it segfaulted. Boom.

:-(

It would help if you report this to Eugene Crosser <crosser at average
dot org>, preferably including a backtrace ("bt" in gdb) off a debugging
build (with -g, without -s or -fomit-frame-pointer).

> So I scrapped it and installed ipop3d instead, which worked on the fly with
> poprelayd. I'll attempt the patch for the log messages, though.

I've counted your vote for changing the log message in the official
popa3d.  It's a trivial change, but previously I hesitated to do it as
it would mean duplicate logging of the IP address information (it's
not good to not log connecting addresses prior to authentication as
well).

--
/sd