Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:17:23 +0100
From: "Jakob Hirsch" <jh@...nk.de>
To: <popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Mailbox Size Limit

> ....This is what I've read about the shortcomings of the mbox
> format....

and it's all true. additionally, a pop3-server has to read the complete
mailbox-file when the user is logging in, so some clients may experience
timeouts if your machine is slow or has high load. Some use a sort of
caching, but that solves the problem only partly.

> But, why should -i- have to change this?

Because -you- want the improvements.

> (And, if you don't mind me asking, how do).

Depends on the software you use.
With sendmail, I think you have to read the procmail manpage.
With Exim (and postfix AFAIK) it's just a config option.

With popa3d there is a patch for 0.5.9.

> Why isn't it used by default?

Why is sendmail used by default? Why bind? Why UW-IMAP or qpopper?
People tend to use what everybode else uses and what they used before.

Bye, Jakob