Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:37:33 +0100
From: solar@...nwall.com
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: keep messages on server doesn't work?

Hi,

Please excuse the lack of participation in this discussion on my part.
I am travelling, currently in Brussels where I spoke at FOSDEM
(www.fosdem.org) and I don't always have Internet access during this
trip.

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:18:29PM +0000, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:33:35PM +0100, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> > Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> >
> > > I use fetchmail to this tests with keep option and when it
> > > fetches mail it says "not flushed" but every time that I restart
> > > fetchmail, it fetch all the mail again. I assume that it is
> >
> > That's a fetchmail thing and has very little to do with popa3d.
> > fetchmail uses by default the deprecated LAST command, which is not
> > supported by popa3d.

Jakob, -- thanks a lot for your response on this.

I'll add some more detail:

popa3d does have some very limited optional fake support for LAST,
just to not confuse the very few ancient clients which depend on it.
This is a compile-time setting in params.h which you may disable.

> > To make fetchmail only get new mail, add the UIDL
> > option to your fetchmailrc.
>
>      " Under  POP3, blame RFC1725.  That version of the POP3 protocol specifi-
>        cation removed the LAST command, and some POP servers  follow  it  (you
>        can verify this by invoking fetchmail -v to the mailserver and watching
>        the response to LAST early in the query).  The fetchmail code tries  to

Yes, that command has been dropped from the protocol with RFC 1725 and
it's not even mentioned in 1939 and later RFCs relating to POP3.

>        compensate by using POP3's UID feature, storing the identifiers of mes-
>        sages seen in each session until the next  session,  in  the  .fetchids
>        file.  But this doesn't track messages seen with other clients, or read
>        directly with a mailer on the host but not deleted afterward.  A better
>        solution would be to switch to IMAP. "

UIDL works nicely and is indeed supported by popa3d.  The "problem"
with it mentioned above is viewed as an advantage by most: if one
fetches their mail with two different clients, that's usually to have
copies of all the mail at two different locations (work, home), and
this is precisely what happens when UIDL is used for not retrieving
previously seen messages.

>     What shoul I do:
>
>     	- Use UIDL

Yes, your users will.

This works with all the popular clients, including Outlook and OE (to
answer your specific question).

--
/sd