Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:23:50 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Where does it go wrong?

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:42:52PM +0100, Michael Meyer wrote:
> Solar Designer wrote:
> > Is this Outlook or Outlook Express?
> >
> > Most likely a client bug, possibly a known one.
>
> IIRC i have the same error while having a mail with broken header in
> mailbox.
> i 'rm' the mailbox and create a new. but there are no important
> messages in it. so this is not the best answer for all.

I advice that people try with popa3d 0.5.9, although this is a known
problem for some versions of Outlook Express only currently (Outlook
is believed to be unaffected).

Clearly, there may be other unusual mail headers which would result in
similar behavior.  OE is in general quite broken in that respect: to
abort the whole POP3 session because it can't parse the headers of one
message is weird.

The OE bug workaround in popa3d 0.5.9 is just for body-less messages
so far.

What happens is basically that the confused POP3 client simply closes
connection abnormally, reporting some, well, confusing numeric error
to the user.  Even though message headers and contents have nothing to
do with POP3, -- so this is a design error of the client.

--
/sd