Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:24:12 +0100
From: Jappe Reuling <jappe@...cproductions.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Where does it go wrong?

On Monday, Dec 9, 2002, at 17:18 Europe/Amsterdam, Solar Designer wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:26:28PM +0100, Jappe Reuling wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Dec  9 16:55:58 mailserver popa3d[73054]: Premature disconnect
>>
>> We've been using popa3d on several servers/configurations and never
>> had
>> ANY problems so this is realy strange.
>> popa3d runs from inetd, inetd runs with just the standard '-wW'
>> options. No other error messages in the log files except the above.
>> The
>> clients fetching use winXP/outlook (all of them) and only a few get
>> this error (and a error in outlook).
>
> Is this Outlook or Outlook Express?

It's the almighty Outlook

> Most likely a client bug, possibly a known one.

I'm looking in that direction

> Which version of popa3d?  One related workaround went in after 0.5.1
> (it's in 0.5.9):

popa3d-0.5.1 installed from the FreeBSD ports collection

> * Mon May 27 2002 Solar Designer <solar@....openwall.com>
> - Workaround a bug in certain versions of Microsoft Outlook Express
> (reported) where the client would abort on body-less messages which are
> lacking a blank line after the headers (valid per RFC 822, 2822).

> The second possibility to look into is a networking problem.  tcpdump
> might help.

It might be, i'm still open to all problems >:-) The only thing is that
all other network trafic works fine (smb, http, ftp, smtp), I know that
that doesn't prove anything but it a good start...

Thanks so far.

jappe

> --
> /sd

Met vriendelijke groet,
--
Jappe Reuling
jappe@...cproductions.com

Parc Productions
Waalsteeg 4-6
1011 ER Amsterdam

Tel:    +31 (0)20-4892456
Fax:    +31 (0)20-4892458
Http:    http://www.parcproductions.com

The information in this document can be confidential. It is intended
only for the use of the recipient of this mail. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us and delete this document. Do not
disclose the contents of this document to any other person. Do not
take any copies. Violation of this notice may be unlawful.