Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 16:53:58 +0100
From: Matlink <>
Subject: Re: Authentication vs identification

You won a point, Authentication¹ is often an action from the user
(unless continuous authentification), while Identification is rather
done by the service.

¹: I previously made a typo cause in french the translation is very close.

Le 15/12/2017 à 16:49, a écrit :
> On 12/15/2017 04:44 PM, Matlink wrote:
>> Basically:
>> Authentification is verifying
> by the user himself
> (i prefer to make definitions precise, which voice is active and which
> is passive)
>> that an user is really the one she's
>> pretending to be (i.e. by asking for a password).
>> Identification is trying to put an identity on someone, like her name is
>> Alice Smith from London (or less precisely by tracking her across
>> websites).
> in other words "THEY DO IT TO YOU"
> with or without your consent,
> although you need them to do it to you for your benefit quite often.
>> Le 15/12/2017 à 16:32, Alex Smirnoff a écrit :
>>> It confuses me as well. Isn't it exactly the opposite? Identification
>>> involves a person, and authentication involves abstract "entity" which
>>> could be non-person, group of people or whatever.

Matlink - Sysadmin
Sortez couverts, chiffrez vos mails : https://café-vie-privé
XMPP/Jabber :
Clé publique PGP : 0x186BB3CA
Empreinte Off-the-record : 572174BF 6983EA74 91417CA7 705ED899 DE9D05B2