Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:52:17 -0800
From: Jim Fenton <fenton@...epopcorn.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: proposed NIST guidelines on passwords

It should be clear that there is a security benefit from prohibiting
really obvious passwords like "Password1". But as I pointed out in slide
17 of the presentation, choosing dictionary size is a tradeoff between
effectiveness and frustration (user experience). The SP 800-63B draft
doesn't recommend a particular dictionary size.

Yes, we're mostly dealing with online attacks here. An 8-character
minimum is not sufficient for offline attacks against a hashed database
unless it is a keyed hash (and the key isn't breached).

The algorithms you are suggesting sound interesting. Please make this
comment when the public comment period opens early next year. I'll
forward the announcement when the comment period begins to this list for
those who aren't avid readers of the Federal Register :)

-Jim

Content of type "text/html" skipped